5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That image is as optimistic as the Ram display. 2544 miles and 261 gallons is 9.7mpg, is it not? That's about what my Challenger gets but I go through a lot more tires.
you know it could be but at this point im done racking my brain about the lame a** gas mileage i get and waiting for the day i get a new truck.

skidmarc

Reaction score
Just checking back in on this thread 4 years after I got my Rebel and posted early on.

My mileage has gotten worse; just did a familiar round trip where it would have been easy to see 18mpg, and only saw 16.0. Doesn’t sound like a big difference, but I was ‘trying’ so it should have been, say, 18.5.

If I could keep the truck at 40-45mph, I’d probably see 28-30mpg. It just sucks gas badly at highway speeds. And I’m only talking 65-70mph.

Disappointed.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just checking back in on this thread 4 years after I got my Rebel and posted early on.

My mileage has gotten worse; just did a familiar round trip where it would have been easy to see 18mpg, and only saw 16.0. Doesn’t sound like a big difference, but I was ‘trying’ so it should have been, say, 18.5.

If I could keep the truck at 40-45mph, I’d probably see 28-30mpg. It just sucks gas badly at highway speeds. And I’m only talking 65-70mph.

Disappointed.
Truck still 100% stock, including tires?

Last edited:

skidmarc

Reaction score
Thanks - yes, the truck just turned 25k miles so it’s still on all factory equipment. 5w20, tires at recommended pressures (maybe a touch high due to warmer temps now).

I’d be perfectly happy if I could do 18 highway, but 16 is a bit of a drag.

I got a friend with a similarly equipped BigHorn, and she was disappointed to recently drop from 20 highway to 18.

Still love the truck - 9/10 things are perfect. This is the last piece ;)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks - yes, the truck just turned 25k miles so it’s still on all factory equipment. 5w20, tires at recommended pressures (maybe a touch high due to warmer temps now).

I’d be perfectly happy if I could do 18 highway, but 16 is a bit of a drag.

I got a friend with a similarly equipped BigHorn, and she was disappointed to recently drop from 20 highway to 18.

Still love the truck - 9/10 things are perfect. This is the last piece ;)
Only reason mine has dropped is due to modifications. There may be some places still with winter blend fuel that will drop your fuel mileage. Might be time to replace the air filter.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That image is as optimistic as the Ram display. 2544 miles and 261 gallons is 9.7mpg, is it not? That's about what my Challenger gets but I go through a lot more tires.

Your method of division will not provide accurate MPG because the gallon figure in Fuelly includes gas from the last fill-up that was not included in the miles driven. To be accurate you would need to subtract the number of gallons from the last fill-up from the gallons listed. Based on the figures I would guess he might have the 33 gallon tank and last filled up when the low fuel light was on. Fuelly also delays some calculations if you make partial fill-ups.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Doesn't seem to matter what I do. My onboard MPG is always calculated at 14.5-16MPG. I do a ton of highway driving. If it's realistically 13.5-15 then that's good enough to for me. I've got a Mazda 3 I'm about to retire for a hybrid CR-V if I want the fuel economy.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My
I hand calculated one time and it was 1
Mpg lower than the dash. Not worried about fuel mileage anyway

Mine too.
For the 1st year I checked the trucks computer mpg against hand calculating, my display was never more than 2-3 tenths one way or the other of hand calc'ing it.
I spot check it now and then and its still the same 420-430 miles per 23 gallons of mixed driving (mainly city). As long as I get a minimum 420 miles per 23 gal, I don't worry about it

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My

Mine too.
For the 1st year I checked the trucks computer mpg against hand calculating, my display was never more than 2-3 tenths one way or the other of hand calc'ing it.
I spot check it now and then and its still the same 420-430 miles per 23 gallons of mixed driving (mainly city). As long as I get a minimum 420 miles per 23 gal, I don't worry about it

Same for both of my Ram trucks. The computer is close enough that I only check every once in a while.

cerbo

Reaction score
Same for both of my Ram trucks. The computer is close enough that I only check every once in a while.
same here, very very close . Goes both ways so probably has more to do with the pump and when the pressure shuts s it down. About 200 miles today, highway 65-75, 19.8 MPGs coming and going.

Let me add, I could probably drive the same trip and get 16 MPGs. Just to say it s hard to compare with others.

PetePA

Reaction score
same here, very very close . Goes both ways so probably has more to do with the pump and when the pressure shuts s it down. About 200 miles today, highway 65-75, 19.8 MPGs coming and going.

Let me add, I could probably drive the same trip and get 16 MPGs. Just to say it s hard to compare with others.
What gear ratio do you have? Curious how much that matters. Seems most posts in this thread with really low MPG have the 3.92.

cerbo

Reaction score
3.21. rear cover. Light foot. Stock BTS wheels/tires 2 lbs over, 3500 miles, 0-20 synthetic .
Maybe still on winter fuel? Regular.

Ramfancy

Reaction score
You guys need to remove the back seat. Upped my mileage 2 mpg.

Also, as a side benefit, no more annoying kids in the back seat. Looking at taking the passenger seat out of the front. I heard that even makes the stereo sound better!

Users who are viewing this thread