5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Big Horn; 38,000 miles & Service Throttle Control Warning/Engine Failure

r9stone11

Reaction score
First post here, decided today to post my Ram sob story partly to get feedback and partly just to have a space to vent because I think my wife is already tired of me complaining about this to her!

I bought a used 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn (5.7 Hemi E-Torque) about a year and a half ago and up until last week Monday (5/6) I've been extremely happy with the truck. I was driving home in the evening and as I was slowing down to turn into my neighborhood the engine shuddered, the "Service Electronic Throttle Control" warning light came on and the truck shut itself off. Thankfully I was able to coast to the side of the road in our neighborhood and I wasn't impeding traffic at all. I got ahold of AAA and got the truck towed to my house and not knowing what the problem was I setup an appointment to have it towed to my local trusted mechanic. They had no openings until Monday of this week (5/13) and after having had it in their posession for all of 15 minutes they called to let me know that all of their diagnostic codes were showing "Internal Engine Failure" as the culprit. After hearing that awesome news I got the truck towed to the closest dealership and there it sits right now waiting for them to have an opening to look into what the problem is.

I'm not feeling super confident that this is any kind of a minor issue, thinking that something broke inside the engine and I'll be looking at a replacement. Thankfully I'm still well within the 5-yr 60K powertrain warranty period but based on some of the other stories I've read online of Ram owners with the same issue I'm not feeling great about getting my truck fixed and back in my possession in any kind of a timely fashion. So right now I'm just driving myself crazy waiting for the dealer to even open the hood to take a look at it..........They did not have any loaners available for me so next week's camping trip is now in doubt since my wife's care is not capable of pulling our camper...........I guess I'll try and think of something to make that happen still as the time away from home would be good for all of us.

Like I said at the beginning, this is just an opportunity for me to vent a bit about this, makes me feel a bit better just to type things out here!

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Breath in.. breath out. Let the service dept do their job before you start panicking thinking the worse.

r9stone11

Reaction score
Breath in.. breath out. Let the service dept do their job before you start panicking thinking the worse.
LOL!

Being patient is not one of my stronger qualities, I want things taken care of NOW!

Users who are viewing this thread