5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket rear replacement bumper revisited

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the Wolfstorm in the mail yesterday, gonna need some cleanup grinding, welding, and repaint, but it's still a nice unit.

Backup lights came with it, but I don't think I'll bother with them at the moment. No comments on backing into somebody again! 😄

Anybody know if Tradesman has a key module in the OEM rear bumper? What does it do, open the tailgate with the fob? Is that it? I don't think I ever had that option. I think it only locks/unlocks with the doors. What are your thoughts?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Got the Wolfstorm in the mail yesterday, gonna need some cleanup grinding, welding, and repaint, but it's still a nice unit.

Backup lights came with it, but I don't think I'll bother with them at the moment. No comments on backing into somebody again! 😄

Anybody know if Tradesman has a key module in the OEM rear bumper? What does it do, open the tailgate with the fob? Is that it? I don't think I ever had that option. I think it only locks/unlocks with the doors. What are your thoughts?
No module in rear bumper. Just park sense sensors, if you have them, license plate lights, and trailer wire harness.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is from ADD's website directions, but mine is empty there. Wolfstorm pics didn't explain anything.

1715088739303.png

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might be for the trucks that allow you to open the tailgate with the truck locked if the keys are in your pocket/next to the tailgate. I don't know where the module is, but I do know if you have the truck locked and shut the tailgate with the keys in the bed and far enough from the back it won't open again. I tried looking on mine real quick, but the spare tire was in the way.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Might be for the trucks that allow you to open the tailgate with the truck locked if the keys are in your pocket/next to the tailgate. I don't know where the module is, but I do know if you have the truck locked and shut the tailgate with the keys in the bed and far enough from the back it won't open again. I tried looking on mine real quick, but the spare tire was in the way.
My truck does that for the mft, I don't recall seeing that module though the several times I've been working in that area I'll go take a look and see what's there.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My truck does that for the mft, I don't recall seeing that module though the several times I've been working in that area I'll go take a look and see what's there.
Nope not on my truck.
I don't think those are 5th gen instructions, doesn't even look close.
My MFT unlocks if I have my key in my pocket.
Note I have a splitter for my tailer hitch in the first picture, not that it matters.
2024-05-07 14.01.26.jpg 2024-05-07 14.01.38.jpg 2024-05-07 14.01.41.jpg 2024-05-07 14.01.47.jpg

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's in their video on what appears to be a 5th gen, although the cut away before going back to the bumper.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found it. Think you have it too. Look directly between the tire and license plate *above* the bolts. I thought it was below. *Disregard zip ties that I'm too lazy to cut.
:LOL:

1715105515038.png

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Found it. Think you have it too. Look directly between the tire and license plate *above* the bolts. I thought it was below. *Disregard zip ties that I'm too lazy to cut.
:LOL:

View attachment 182752
Hm, is the picture of the bumper upside down?

Based upon that picture looking from the inside it's to the left of the trailer plug.
My pictures are to the left from under my truck.
Maybe their picture is from the bumper upside down, which would mean it's behind the license plate\tire like you said?
Like this?
1715109089988.png

Edit: their picture is inverse AND upside down
The cutout on the top of the picture is the BOTTOM of your bumper.
But yes I do have whatever that part is on my truck.

This is how their picture should be to be accurate
1715109430867.png

2024-05-07 15.14.33.jpg 2024-05-07 15.14.42.jpg 2024-05-07 15.15.08.jpg

Last edited:

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hm, is the picture of the bumper upside down?

Based upon that picture looking from the inside it's to the left of the trailer plug.
My pictures are to the left from under my truck.
Maybe their picture is from the bumper upside down, which would mean it's behind the license plate\tire like you said?
Like this?
View attachment 182753

Edit: their picture is inverse AND upside down
The cutout on the top of the picture is the BOTTOM of your bumper.
But yes I do have whatever that part is on my truck.

This is how their picture should be to be accurate
View attachment 182754

View attachment 182755 View attachment 182756 View attachment 182757
Yep! I kept looking at their picture wondering why it was so weird, and it's because it was all flipped around. You found it! I wonder if there's enough wire for me to relocate it a bit nearer to the tailgate/bed. I had my keys in my golf bag one time, rolled it into the bed of the truck where the keys were on the cab side, shut the tailgate, and got locked out of my truck. Had a very angry wife drive for 45 minutes to click the unlock button on my spare key as she drove by in the parking lot with a very grumpy face.

TLDR: If the truck senses when you have the keys and allows you to open the tailgate with the truck locked you should have this module right behind the license plate.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification guys. I don't think I have that piece anywhere else then either, and I guess I don't know what my tailgate does with the door locks.

blank.jpg

And the reason I had to change it:

cracks.jpg

All the cracks made the bumper too floppy to use.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification guys. I don't think I have that piece anywhere else then either, and I guess I don't know what my tailgate does with the door locks.

View attachment 182804

And the reason I had to change it:

View attachment 182805

All the cracks made the bumper too floppy to use.
So basically if you have your truck locked and try to open the tailgate with the keys in your pocket it should stay locked. My truck will allow me to open the tailgate without unlocking the whole truck because I have that sensor.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the Wolfstorm preliminarily installed Saturday, I'll try to add pics later today. In summary, it is a very low quality unit. It has about 40% of the needed welds missing or incomplete, shipping wore off paint in many places, and there is no primer under the paint. You get what you pay for.

Now, I can weld or get a neighbor to weld, so that's in the plan. Also, the bumper wraps tight to the body at the "front" of the sides, like 3/16", which is much too close for a jiggling off road truck. So, I will cut half of the wrap off and make a new endcap. I didn't remove all the optional brackets not used on my Tradesman, but I'll do that also. Of interest, the Wolfstorm does not use the trailer hitch bolt locations, so I will drill those and install probably carriage bolts because the license plate bolts flat to that face. I "may" get rid of the gasket between the three sections of bumper and simply weld it solid as well. Lastly, a coat of rustoleum and a top coat of bedliner to finish it off.

Is that amount of rework worth $400 more for a name brand? Probably, especially if you don't have a welder or a good place to work on it. But, it got me into it cheap and I see plenty of places for improvement, at least that's what I tell myself... 😄

Users who are viewing this thread