5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing ETorque

EightSixtyConcepts

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about paying $1300 for an alternator down the road.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The Hurricane will have stop/start. That is not an etorque feature, it's something you get with etorque. Lots of different vehicles have stop/start systems. It's not unique to etorque. You really don't understand the system. I suggest you watch any of the many videos out there which describe what etorque is. Here's one video from Stellantis...

Or this one...

What other Ram has stop and stop except etorque equipped vehicles?
And I've seen the sales videos, you really don't understand it if you believe all the crap they claim it does. It was obviously so successfully they are keeping it in 2025... Oh wait they aren't....

EightSixtyConcepts

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
e-torque does not have an alternator

"The new Ram eTorque Mild Hybrid system is a replacement for the traditional alternator. It sports a belt-driven motor generator unit that executes several different functions."

That's what I'm saying. The only feature it provides that I absolutely need, in terms of a functional vehicle, is the part that powers the 12v system.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's what I'm saying. The only feature it provides that I absolutely need, in terms of a functional vehicle, is the part that powers the 12v system.
And the $1500 battery I think.
Etorque is an everything or nothing. I don't think you can just out some parts of it. Generator and battery including the step downs I believe are required

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And I've seen the sales videos, you really don't understand it if you believe all the crap they claim it does. It was obviously so successfully they are keeping it in 2025... Oh wait they aren't....
Try to follow along. I know it’s a challenge for you but I’m patient. At no time did I say any other Ram has stop/start. I said other vehicles. As in cars and trucks from other manufacturers. I can guarantee that none of those has etorque. Oh, and by the way, they are keeping it in 2025 on the V6 Pentastar.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Try to follow along. I know it’s a challenge for you but I’m patient. At no time did I say any other Ram has stop/start. I said other vehicles. As in cars and trucks from other manufacturers. I can guarantee that none of those has etorque. Oh, and by the way, they are keeping it in 2025 on the V6 Pentastar.
We are on Ram forums, talking about Ram trucks, and eTorque in Ram.
Automatic start\stop IS A FEATURE of eTorque, even if eTorque is not REQUIRED in scientific theory to have said feature.
There are no Ram trucks that had that feature, as it was PART OF eTorque per Stellantis themselves, which as I said about your silly sales video you linked you already know is BS.

1715829110627.png

They also only offer the Pentastar in Ram with eTorque not without, and they are using the Pentastar for the Ramcharger, so sure they are keeping it because it would cost more to remove it.

EightSixtyConcepts

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
And the $1500 battery I think.
Etorque is an everything or nothing. I don't think you can just out some parts of it. Generator and battery including the step downs I believe are required
Oh yea I agree with you there. No doubt a challenge. Be interesting to see how deeply it's integrated into other systems. Someone would have to spend the time to go through every wire.

I'm no stranger to that task but I'm not tearing apart my new truck just yet if I can avoid it.

Attachments

• iPhone Import 253.JPG
    iPhone Import 253.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 27
  • iPhone Import 161.JPG
    iPhone Import 161.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 27

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It helped reduce EPA fines because it was a mild hybrid system. It didn't have to actually make that much of a difference, just saying it was a hybrid was enough. The Hurricane has reduced emissions, and doesn't need etorque to compensate. But, they are keeping e-torque because it is standard on the V6 pentastsr, which is still the base engine option. So nice try at trying to flip the scripts but you failed.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We are on Ram forums, talking about Ram trucks, and eTorque in Ram.
Automatic start\stop IS A FEATURE of eTorque, even if eTorque is not REQUIRED in scientific theory to have said feature.
There are no Ram trucks that had that feature, as it was PART OF eTorque per Stellantis themselves, which as I said about your silly sales video you linked you already know is BS.

View attachment 183276

They also only offer the Pentastar in Ram with eTorque not without, and they are using the Pentastar for the Ramcharger, so sure they are keeping it because it would cost more to remove it.
Trying to have a conversation with you is like herding cats. You go off onto so many different directions that it’s not worth the effort. I don’t know if it‘s on purpose or if you just don’t comprehend what other people say. But at this point I can see that I’m wasting my time trying to have a discussion with you.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It helped reduce EPA fines because it was a mild hybrid system. It didn't have to actually make that much of a difference, just saying it was a hybrid was enough. The Hurricane has reduced emissions, and doesn't need etorque to compensate. But, they are keeping e-torque because it is standard on the V6 pentastsr, which is still the base engine option. So nice try at trying to flip the scripts but you failed.
So you are claiming that an I6 engine produces less emissions then an v6?
How does everythread turn into a hurricane thread lately even if it's got nothing to do with it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So you are claiming that an I6 engine produces less emissions then an v6?
How does everythread turn into a hurricane thread lately even if it's got nothing to do with it.
You specifically asked what other RAM has stop/start feature without etorque. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean the question asnt answered.

And yes the Hurricane will have less tailpipe emissions than the Pentastsr.

WACOKID

Reaction score
The Hurricane was never about fuel economy increases, or savings.

And saying it's has more expensive replacement parts is unfounded, and just excuses you are coming up with to justify your dislike of it
I think the biggest concern over the Hurricane stuff VS is Etorque or Hemi 5.7 I've seen anyone mention that I agree with is that the longevity of the turbo I6 is going to be called into question with heavier duty use over sustained amount of time. I doubt in light duty applications it will have a poor track record but I tend to think there may be some issues with trucks that live with trailers and loads behind them over time that may have some melt downs. I'm pretty sure guys that have to decide now days will consider moving to the 2500 and the bigger Hemi rather than risk the Hurricane until it has some street time and a revision or two .

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think the biggest concern over the Hurricane stuff VS is Etorque or Hemi 5.7 I've seen anyone mention that I agree with is that the longevity of the turbo I6 is going to be called into question with heavier duty use over sustained amount of time. I doubt in light duty applications it will have a poor track record but I tend to think there may be some issues with trucks that live with trailers and loads behind them over time that may have some melt downs. I'm pretty sure guys that have to decide now days will consider moving to the 2500 and the bigger Hemi rather than risk the Hurricane until it has some street time and a revision or two .
People are already calling it into question despite any real world data to support their fears, or opinions. Most are just making unfounded claims to try and justify their opinion about a twin turbo I6 in a Ram. Turbo engines and hauling loads have been around for far longer than some of these people, staying it will have issues or will wear out faster, have even been alive.

23RAM

Reaction score
The Hurricane was never about fuel economy increases, or savings.
It has less emissions and slightly better mileage claims. That's what the green people crave. What else does the Hurricane offer other than a HO version that is better than the V8?
And saying it's has more expensive replacement parts is unfounded, and just excuses you are coming up with to justify your dislike of it
I'm sorry but a generator motor and secondary battery, wiring, control modules, etc. are all extra parts not used on the standard V8 engine. Those are very expensive compared to an alternator and lead-acid start battery which the standard engine uses.

Here in Canada, the E-torque was a $3000 upgrade on the 2022 Sport. About $1500 on the Limited. To pay off $3000 in fuel savings it would have taken over 15 years based at the current price of gas.So not worth the added cost. And if I sell it before it recoups the cost, then I lose a pro-rated amount for nothing - E-torque won't have any selling power.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It has less emissions and slightly better mileage claims. That's what the green people crave. What else does the Hurricane offer other than a HO version that is better than the V8?

I'm sorry but a generator motor and secondary battery, wiring, control modules, etc. are all extra parts not used on the standard V8 engine. Those are very expensive compared to an alternator and lead-acid start battery which the standard engine uses.

Here in Canada, the E-torque was a $3000 upgrade on the 2022 Sport. About $1500 on the Limited. To pay off $3000 in fuel savings it would have taken over 15 years based at the current price of gas.So not worth the added cost. And if I sell it before it recoups the cost, then I lose a pro-rated amount for nothing - E-torque won't have any selling power.
Your comment I replied to was confusing because you mention them switching to the I6 Hurricanes then go on to talk about complexity and higher replacement part prices lead to to believe you were referring to the Hurricane.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Your comment I replied to was confusing because you mention them switching to the I6 Hurricanes then go on to talk about complexity and higher replacement part prices lead to to believe you were referring to the Hurricane.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
By law auto manufactures are required to provide parts for 10 years after production stops. There are enough eTorque vehicles out there that I have no doubt someone will still be offering batteries after that point or selling an eTorque conversion kit that eliminates it.
I wish this was true.. but I know Harley Davidson has screwed people on many discontinued bikes as early as 3-4 years.. the Vrod is a perfect example of that.

Users who are viewing this thread