5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD Known Changes 5th Gen

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can the OBD MX+ be used on multiple vehicles? I see it will do forscan too. I have a Ford I need something for as well.

Says it will work with Apple?

The bypass cable posted above is out of stock, will look for another one.

Thanks all.
You don’t want to use the kaodtech style bypass on your 1500 anyway. This one is easier to use on the 1500’s:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use a TazerDT as my SGW bypass. And get the added benefit of all the live features it provides.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No And…It’s but.
Everyone has their own preferences. I prefer one and done. Not to have to remove something whenever I get service work done. Tazer’s have a few neat features, but again, have to remain plugged in.
I have no issue with you following whatever regime you like or doing whatever you want to your truck.
My preference is simply different.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No And…It’s but.
Everyone has their own preferences. I prefer one and done. Not to have to remove something whenever I get service work done. Tazer’s have a few neat features, but again, have to remain plugged in.
I have no issue with you following whatever regime you like or doing whatever you want to your truck.
My preference is simply different.
I haven't removed my Tazer the last three times it went to dealer for warranty stuff. Was never an issue. And now I'm out of the 3/36 warranty, and it has zero effect on powertrain, so no concern about leaving it in.

Leaving a bypass cable plugged in would have the same issues as leaving the TazerDT plugged in.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't removed my Tazer the last three times it went to dealer for warranty stuff. Was never an issue. And now I'm out of the 3/36 warranty, and it has zero effect on powertrain, so no concern about leaving it in.

Leaving a bypass cable plugged in would have the same issues as leaving the TazerDT plugged in.
Like I said. You do you
I have extended warranty for another 40K so they still use the reader port whenever I go in for service.
My security bypass cable remains plugged into the bar but not attached to the reader port. I keep it tucked in up under the dash.
There when I want it. No issue with dealership.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Like I said. You do you
I have extended warranty for another 40K so they still use the reader port whenever I go in for service.
My security bypass cable remains plugged into the bar but not attached to the reader port. I keep it tucked in up under the dash.
There when I want it. No issue with dealership.
And you don't think the dealer can tell you have a bypass cable installed? 🤣

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And you don't think the dealer can tell you have a bypass cable installed? 🤣

Funny because he says that, but the TazerDT is just a bypass module that plugs into the same EXACT spot he says he leaves plugged in.
He uses a different bypass that leaves the security gateway untouched, so he can just leave his bypass plugged into the star can blocks and jam it up out of sight.
With the method you guys use, they immediately know as soon as they connect to witech 2, because the first message they see when they connect is that “security gateway not found” (yes, even though they might not say anything about it).

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He uses a different bypass that leaves the security gateway untouched, so he can just leave his bypass plugged into the star can blocks and jam it up out of sight.
With the method you guys use, they immediately know as soon as they connect to witech 2, because the first message they see when they connect is that “security gateway not found” (yes, even though they might not say anything about it).
Exactly!!!
I was getting tired of “splainin” the difference.
The way I’ve got mine connected, is it’s plugged into additional ports on the star block and not affiliated with the OEM reader port.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly!!!
The way I’ve got mine connected, is it’s plugged into additional ports on the star block and not affiliated with the OEM reader port.
You weren't "splainin" anything.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Exactly!!!
I don't have anything plugged into my "ODM" reader port.
I can see no SGW when I connect with cdma.
What do you have installed in your truck to bypass the module, without bypassing the module? Is this something listed for sale on these past 23 pages?

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have anything plugged into my "ODM" reader port.
I can see no SGW when I connect with cdma.
What do you have installed in your truck to bypass the module, without bypassing the module? Is this something listed for sale on these past 23 pages?
I guess one factor I forgot to mention. Mine is not constantly plugged into the back of the OEM reader port, so the OEM reader port is fully functional when the dealership plugs in. My cable is disconnected from the back of said OEM reader port and tucked up under the dash however, still plugged into the star block, but ready to use with simple plugging into the rear of the OEM reader port. IMG_0133.jpeg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OMG! One thing for sure. You sure like to be argumentative. I think you need to get a life!
Says the guy who thought he was "splainin" things, when there was no "splainin" going in. Just telling me why I was wrong.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Says the guy who thought he was "splainin" things, when there was no "splainin" going in. Just telling me why I was wrong.
Nobody said you’re wrong! Gawd!
Were you beat up as a kid???
You’re always willing to argue with someone here.
I was merely pointing out the difference between the two systems.
You go ahead and do you. I’m alright with that. I’ve got better things to do than to mince words.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nobody said you’re wrong! Gawd!
Were you beat up as a kid???
You’re always willing to argue with someone here.
I was merely pointing out the difference between the two systems.
You go ahead and do you. I’m alright with that. I’ve got better things to do than to mince words.
Let's retrace our steps. I said I use the TazerDT as my SGW bypass and like the added live features. Wasn't directed at you, required no peanut gallery comments.

You said it has to stay plugged in to use the live features, which is a given, making it sound like that was an issue. Then go on to say you like a "one and done" approach and not having to worry about issues at dealer.

I mentioned I have made several dealer visits without removing it, and it never was an issue. So wasn't something I "have to" unplug.

Then you make a comment about me being argumentative, in order to make it sound like you weren't an active participant in the back and forth, and try and discredit me and my opinion

You then follow that up with a post, actually describing what you use, which you hadn't done before, so there was no "pointing out the differences", merely stating why you don't like the TazerDT. In said post, I comes to light they you do actually have to plug/unplug you bypass cable in order to use it, meaning it's not "one and done". And part of that involves hiding it up under the dash, and then digging it out when needed.

For someone trying to call me out for arguing, you sure we're active in the conversation, and seems like you are one who likes to get in the "last word".

Users who are viewing this thread