5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ford 8 vs 6 engine sales

MT755

Reaction score
Does anyone here know what percentage of v8 engine are sold in Ford F150 trucks. I seldom see a V8. Maybe Stelantis saw the low percentage of V8 sold by Ford and thought 6 cylinders will work for them too.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last I heard it was like a 25% take rate for the V8 on the F150. Funny thing is they don't even offer the V8 option on the Expedition anymore which rides on the F150 platform.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's not as simple as that though. No models above a Lariat even let you select the 5.0 V8 engine. So you'd need to remove the King Ranch and Platinum models from the equation.

akaTheDude

Reaction score
I will say this, I have owned 2, a 2011 and a 2022, F150s that had the EcoBoost and those trucks would FLY...the power was wild.
So once Ram works the bugs out of theirs I would have ZERO issue trading the Hemi for one.
I say that, to say this, I think V8s will soon be a thing of the past sooner than later.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I will say this, I have owned 2, a 2011 and a 2022, F150s that had the EcoBoost and those trucks would FLY...the power was wild.
So once Ram works the bugs out of theirs I would have ZERO issue trading the Hemi for one.
I say that, to say this, I think V8s will soon be a thing of the past sooner than later.

Eventually, but neither Ford nor GM is getting ridding of their V8s in the immediate future. In fact quite the opposite, GM has invested about 1 billion in order to keep their small block V8s emissions compliant, the first of these new V8s will hit the market in 2028. Ford updated the 5.0L for the newest gen Mustang, knowing it needed it, unlike Stellantis with the Charger/Challenger. I think both Ford and GM will be riding their V8s until the very end.

RAM being European owned I think has something to do with this, they just aren't as tied to how people view them as die-hard in the US, especially in full size trucks. Even Ford, which has been Ecoboost biased for over 15 years still keeps a V8 available. Even GM which is the first of the big 3 to put a 4-cylinder turbo in their full size, knows its their small blocks that customers want.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Eventually, but neither Ford nor GM is getting ridding of their V8s in the immediate future. In fact quite the opposite, GM has invested about 1 billion in order to keep their small block V8s emissions compliant, the first of these new V8s will hit the market in 2028. Ford updated the 5.0L for the newest gen Mustang, knowing it needed it, unlike Stellantis with the Charger/Challenger. I think both Ford and GM will be riding their V8s until the very end.

RAM being European owned I think has something to do with this, they just aren't as tied to how people view them as die-hard in the US, especially in full size trucks. Even Ford, which has been Ecoboost biased for over 15 years still keeps a V8 available. Even GM which is the first of the big 3 to put a 4-cylinder turbo in their full size, knows its their small blocks that customers want.
a lot of GMs research and development and ford too for that matter is based around the next small block. not because they need it for production. but both Ford and GM need an engine for next gen Nascar. in the next 15 years you will see Nascar move to 6 cylinder engines too I bet. just my opinion

SD Rebel

Reaction score
a lot of GMs research and development and ford too for that matter is based around the next small block. not because they need it for production. but both Ford and GM need an engine for next gen Nascar. in the next 15 years you will see Nascar move to 6 cylinder engines too I bet. just my opinion

I don't think those NASCAR motors are in any way related to their production vehicles or require spec for spec homologation. They are all 5.8L pushrod 90-degree spec motors across the board, they are also tuned and built by specific 3rd party shops, not by manufacturers themselves. Ford and GM don't have to produce production cars with V8s to be in NASCAR. Toyota has no production V8s in North America (except Lexus IS500 F).

They are keeping their V8s because their customers want it. Ford said their Mustang has to have a V8 and GM also stated their truck buyers demand them. The difference is GM and Ford have the budgets to actually make them complaint unlike Stellantis, or at least the will to do it. I think it will depend on RAM and Charger/Challenger sales on whether or not Stellantis made a mistake.

Last edited:

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
I don't think those NASCAR motors are in any way related to their production vehicles or require spec for spec homologation. They are all 5.8L pushrod 90-degree spec motors across the board, they are also tuned and built by specific 3rd party shops, not by manufacturers themselves. Ford and GM don't have to produce production cars with V8s to be in NASCAR. Toyota has no production V8s in North America (except Lexus IS500 F).

They are keeping their V8s because their customers want it. Ford said their Mustang has to have a V8 and GM also stated their truck buyers demand them.
humm, I always thought that the Blocks had to be production vehichle based engine blocks for Nascar. then they were sent to the other shops for modifications.
I may have learned something new. lol

SD Rebel

Reaction score
humm, I always thought that the Blocks had to be production vehichle based engine blocks for Nascar. then they were sent to the other shops for modifications.
I may have learned something new. lol

I could be wrong as well, I'm only going off memory, but I do know they are all spec for each manufacturer and all have to be 5.8L (350 cu).

irishwake63

Reaction score
I had the 2.7 on my 21 F150 and it towed far better than my 22 RAM 1500 with the 5.7 the 3.5 has many issues and the 5.0 has a few but the 2.7s are their bullet proof engines most techs will tell you they dont see very many in other than pre maint

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I could be wrong as well, I'm only going off memory, but I do know they are all spec for each manufacturer and all have to be 5.8L (350 cu).
I thought 350 ci was the max displacement they could have, not that they have to be that displacement. Maybe that was an older rule. I haven't been watching the sport for a while so I'm kinda out of the loop. It went downhill for me when they started messing with having a playoff season and breaking the race up into different segments. Totally changed it for me.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I had the 2.7 on my 21 F150 and it towed far better than my 22 RAM 1500 with the 5.7 the 3.5 has many issues and the 5.0 has a few but the 2.7s are their bullet proof engines most techs will tell you they dont see very many in other than pre maint
I honestly love my 2.7, it was the first year of that design in 2015, in the four years I owned it it was flawless, and I agree that it definitely feels faster than my heavy Ram with the 5.7.

But to be honest it felt a bit boring, I want to have a sense of occasion when I drive a vehicle, the burble of the V8 does that, it adds a bit of character that was missing.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I thought 350 ci was the max displacement they could have, not that they have to be that displacement. Maybe that was an older rule. I haven't been watching the sport for a while so I'm kinda out of the loop. It went downhill for me when they started messing with having a playoff season and breaking the race up into different segments. Totally changed it for me.

I'm been out of the loop for a while as well, but I did look it up recently, it does have to be a 5.8L motor for everyone.

They essentially designed the motor to have standardization across all manufacturers, however there is a bit of variations in regards to the internals, and how all that is tuned by the individual tuning houses from each major manufacturer.

So there is a lot of spec aspect to these motors but they're not technically a spec motor as they're not designed to be exactly the same in power and torque.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
I honestly love my 2.7, it was the first year of that design in 2015, in the four years I owned it it was flawless, and I agree that it definitely feels faster than my heavy Ram with the 5.7.

But to be honest it felt a bit boring, I want to have a sense of occasion when I drive a vehicle, the burble of the V8 does that, it adds a bit of character that was missing.

Some of what you're also noticing between the F150 and the Ram is the Ford's all aluminum body.

2.7 and 5.0 are great powertrains in the Ford line up. The 3.5, not so much. What brings a lot of F150's into the shop these days is the 10 speed.

I came from a 3.5 10-speed and had every single problem they're well known for.

irishwake63

Reaction score

That is the whole reason I got rid of it and got a Ram I was a ram guy since 2003 and that was the first F150 I have had in a long while and I could not get over the fact that the engine was so small and it was my RV tow vehicle and it should be beefier was I ever wrong I used to get 11 mpg all the time towing my 7k trailer and not if I can get better than 8 Im happy with the Hemi and the ford handled the sway alot better as well and my rear window didnt leak and my infotainment didnt go bonkers every time I started it

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Some of what you're also noticing between the F150 and the Ram is the Ford's all aluminum body.

2.7 and 5.0 are great powertrains in the Ford line up. The 3.5, not so much. What brings a lot of F150's into the shop these days is the 10 speed.

I came from a 3.5 10-speed and had every single problem they're well known for.

Absolutely, the weight was a big part of it.

Jake1050

Reaction score
The move to the turbo 4 and 6 cylinder engines is due to mandated "emissions" standards. I don't think any of the manufacturers would have gone away from the V8 if they weren't forced.
The use of catalytic converters was mandated and the removal of CFC's from spray cans was mandated. Sometimes there are more important things than just keeping the status quo and letting the market decide what they want.

Users who are viewing this thread