5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mold/Mildew Leaky Real Windhsield

dtcochran

Reaction score
Has anyone ever gotten Dodge to do anything about mold and mildew created from the rear windshield issue they are aware of? Our truck is pretty much inoperable due to the mold inside it from the rear windshield and we don't transport our kids in it right now. 2021 Laramie. Dealership is worthless and acting like never heard of leaking rear windshields. They don't even deal with cleaning up the car. I called Chrysler but that was also not too comforting. I told the dealership I am not interested in a detail but a professional company to take the interior apart and treat the mold properly, not just mask it. Anyone have any luck getting the big guys to actually take responsibility and proactively address getting their truck fixed and treated for mold properly?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Has anyone ever gotten Dodge to do anything about mold and mildew created from the rear windshield issue they are aware of? Our truck is pretty much inoperable due to the mold inside it from the rear windshield and we don't transport our kids in it right now. 2021 Laramie. Dealership is worthless and acting like never heard of leaking rear windshields. They don't even deal with cleaning up the car. I called Chrysler but that was also not too comforting. I told the dealership I am not interested in a detail but a professional company to take the interior apart and treat the mold properly, not just mask it. Anyone have any luck getting the big guys to actually take responsibility and proactively address getting their truck fixed and treated for mold properly?
It's hit and miss on getting them to fix the rear window. Warranty will cover it. But others say there is an extended warranty on it. You are completely out of luck on the mold cleanup though. Get the window fixed and have the interior detailed and buy a fog kit.

dtcochran

Reaction score
It's hit and miss on getting them to fix the rear window. Warranty will cover it. But others say there is an extended warranty on it. You are completely out of luck on the mold cleanup though. Get the window fixed and have the interior detailed and buy a fog kit.
Thank you. In your opinion, are there any permeable materials between the seats and rear metal of truck that a car detailer may not be able to access and get the mold cleaned up enough? I guess kind of sucks because mold I can't see but you can smell it so how do we know it's cleaned up properly.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you. In your opinion, are there any permeable materials between the seats and rear metal of truck that a car detailer may not be able to access and get the mold cleaned up enough? I guess kind of sucks because mold I can't see but you can smell it so how do we know it's cleaned up properly.
Would need to remove the rear seats to get access to all the places it could be. Once cleaned, you can use an ozone generator to eliminate the smell. But would still need to make sure the water leak is fixed, or it will come back.

dtcochran

Reaction score
Have you had experience with the third brake light leaking? Can someone not as skilled as other with car repair DIY with replacing the foam sealant on the brake light with some real weather stripping, etc. I don't see cracks in my rear windshield frame like most are referencing.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We were able to talk the dealership into sending the truck through the detail shop they use after they replaced the rear window on our 2020 Limited. It's been about 8 months since the window was replaced and still no leaks. The deail shop also did a great job cleaning the interior. Still no signs of mold, mildew, or associated odors returning.

There have been plenty of rear window leaks that weren't caused by the frame cracking. Many people have had leaks in the upper corners, caused by improperly applied window sealant at the factory.

dtcochran

Reaction score
We were able to talk the dealership into sending the truck through the detail shop they use after they replaced the rear window on our 2020 Limited. It's been about 8 months since the window was replaced and still no leaks. The deail shop also did a great job cleaning the interior. Still no signs of mold, mildew, or associated odors returning.

There have been plenty of rear window leaks that weren't caused by the frame cracking. Many people have had leaks in the upper corners, caused by improperly applied window sealant at the factory.
Awesome. Lord, amazing how dealerships all take a different approach with this. My dealership lost out on two new car purchases, wife and daughter need new one's, simply because they acted like nothing they could do and never heard of this issue before. So, pretty dumb on their part to not take on a couple K in repairs to keep a relationship for future purchases.

djmath

Reaction score
2021 Big Horn 3.6L - We are in the same boat. I have a severe mold allergy that causes significant breathing difficulties. Our truck with less than 35k sat in the driveway for a couple days after a heavy rain. Unknowingly, we had developed the dreaded rear window leak that soaked the back carpet. The mold/mildew smell was horrible when we opened it up. We took it right to the dealer. The window was replaced after a week of sitting on the dealer's lot in additional days of heavy rain. They also replaced the brake light since it was leaking from there too. It is still sitting on the lot with the moldy carpet since new carpet has been on backorder for almost 6 weeks. At this point, mold has to be everywhere in the cabin/HVAC. I have no confidence that I will be able to drive it again without being affected by breathing difficulties from the mold. The truck has also had intake camshafts, lifters and followers replaced 3 times between 29k and 34k. RAM Cares really doesn't. Very frustrated with their response. I guess they are happy with this level of quality.

Users who are viewing this thread