5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil in coolant

Medgas24

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced oil in their coolant? Showed up to work and saw this

Attachments

• IMG_3842.jpeg
    IMG_3842.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3840.jpeg
    IMG_3840.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 59

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
When oil and coolant mix you usually get something that looks like a chocolate milkshake. That looks more like pure oil. Who serviced this truck last and when? Did someone dump oil into the expansion tank?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know people have mistaken putting windshield washer fluid in the right place, but never saw someone put oil in the wrong hole.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When oil and coolant mix you usually get something that looks like a chocolate milkshake. That looks more like pure oil. Who serviced this truck last and when? Did someone dump oil into the expansion tank?

Chocolate mousse happens when you get antifreeze in the crankcase, where the combination gets thoroughly beaten by crank and rods. Whoever said oil and water don't mix has never seen this.

But oil in the coolant doesn't get beaten that much, and oil being lighter than water, will separate and float to the top in the expansion tank.

There have been reports of problems with the intercooler in the lower radiator hose, made from thin metal tubing and some of the welds may not be up to the task. In operation, oil is at higher pressure than the coolant, so if the leak is small you can get a slow migration of oil from crankcase to expansion tank and out the overflow.

That's my guess. Check the oil level to verify.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Chocolate mousse happens when you get antifreeze in the crankcase, where the combination gets thoroughly beaten by crank and rods. Whoever said oil and water don't mix has never seen this.

But oil in the coolant doesn't get beaten that much, and oil being lighter than water, will separate and float to the top in the expansion tank.

There have been reports of problems with the intercooler in the lower radiator hose, made from thin metal tubing and some of the welds may not be up to the task. In operation, oil is at higher pressure than the coolant, so if the leak is small you can get a slow migration of oil from crankcase to expansion tank and out the overflow.

How is going through the water pump not beating it up?

Medgas24

Reaction score
So I took it to a shop had to add 5 quarts to it to drive 27 miles I had it parked there for 5 minutes see below picture !
They found my transmission cooler broken leaking into the radiator as well

Attachments

• IMG_3875.jpeg
    IMG_3875.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Tekmetric.jpeg
    Tekmetric.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 41

Medgas24

Reaction score

There’s also a mechanic on tik tok that explains this pretty well !

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How is going through the water pump not beating it up?

Centrifugal pumps and turbines, for the most part are engineered for laminar flow, and don't really do much mixing. In fact, mixing is not desired as it saps power. Fish nurseries pump fingerlings around with very low mortality.

The oiling system is very different. Lubricant gets squeezed through bearings under high pressure, temperature, and shear, sprayed on cylinder walls, impacted by crank and rods, etc.

I don't have any numbers to put on it, but would imagine at least an order of magnitude difference in "mixing".

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I took it to a shop had to add 5 quarts to it to drive 27 miles I had it parked there for 5 minutes see below picture !
They found my transmission cooler broken leaking into the radiator as well

Transmission too? Yikes!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Based on how it looks, it is likely the oil cooler leaking, which is way better than the head gasket leaking.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Based on how it looks, it is likely the oil cooler leaking, which is way better than the head gasket leaking.
How is that better? Lots of transmissions in Nissan Xterra's and Pathfinders had to be replaced because of this exact thing happening. Transmission fluid lines inside the radiator allowing trans fluid and coolant to be exchanged. If there's transmission fluid in the cooling system there will probably be coolant in the transmission. Search on "strawberry milkshake of death".

SD Rebel

Reaction score
How is that better? Lots of transmissions in Nissan Xterra's and Pathfinders had to be replaced because of this exact thing happening. Transmission fluid lines inside the radiator allowing trans fluid and coolant to be exchanged. If there's transmission fluid in the cooling system there will probably be coolant in the transmission. Search on "strawberry milkshake of death".

Not sure about all that, I was talking about people finding small amounts of oil in their expansion tanks, which was traced to a leaking oil cooler, which seemed a common and simple fix for 2019-2021 older versions of that cooler.

I was assuming that was an engine oil cooler, not a transmission cooler, so I'm probably mixed up here.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If it's the engine oil cooler, it is better, as the oil pressure would force the oil into the coolant, and not the other way around. Transmission cooler and fluid isn't under the same pressure.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If it's the engine oil cooler, it is better, as the oil pressure would force the oil into the coolant, and not the other way around. Transmission cooler and fluid isn't under the same pressure.
The OP said it was determined to be trans fluid in post #7. The transmission lines are leaking into the radiator.

When SD mentioned oil cooler I was thinking he meant transmission oil cooler since the OP had said what it is by the time SD made that post. Just a misunderstanding.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The OP said it was determined to be trans fluid in post #7. The transmission lines are leaking into the radiator.

When SD mentioned oil cooler I was thinking he meant transmission oil cooler since the OP had said what it is by the time SD made that post. Just a misunderstanding.
He said "as well". Considering he had to add engine oil, Id say the engine oil cooler is leaking I to coolant. The drop on ground might be from trans cooler lines, and not necessarily mixing with coolant in the radiator

SD Rebel

Reaction score

It's my bad, I mixed up what the OP was saying.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
He said "as well". Considering he had to add engine oil, Id say the engine oil cooler is leaking I to coolant. The drop on ground might be from trans cooler lines, and not necessarily mixing with coolant in the radiator

Good point, it could be both, though seems interesting they are happening at the same time.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
He didn't specify what kind of fluid he added 5 quarts of. You assume oil, I assumed trans fluid. "As well" when taken in context could mean more than one thing. I took to mean they found trans fluid is leaking into the radiator, as well as what spilled onto the ground. Fun with English.

Users who are viewing this thread