5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil in coolant

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He didn't specify what kind of fluid he added 5 quarts of. You assume oil, I assumed trans fluid. "As well" when taken in context could mean more than one thing. I took to mean they found trans fluid is leaking into the radiator, as well as what spilled onto the ground. Fun with English.
English is fun. Since the transmission leak wasn't mentioned until the end of his follow up post, and he was initially talking about engine oil, it's safer to "assume" the 5qts added was engine oil. His would have been complaining about severe transmission issues if his transmission was 5qts low

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
English is fun. Since the transmission leak wasn't mentioned until the end of his follow up post, and he was initially talking about engine oil, it's safer to "assume" the 5qts added was engine oil. His would have been complaining about severe transmission issues if his transmission was 5qts low
And that's the problem with assuming things. OP and most of us were assuming it was engine oil, but that was never confirmed. Then the shop said it was trans fluid. So why are you still stuck on engine oil at this point in the thread?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And that's the problem with assuming things. OP and most of us were assuming it was engine oil, but that was never confirmed. Then the shop said it was trans fluid. So why are you still stuck on engine oil at this point in the thread?
Shop said it was leaking trans fluid "as well". And as I already mentioned, if his transmission was 5qts low on fluid, he'd barely be able to drive it, but since no shifting issues were mentioned, it's pretty safe between he added engine oil. I'm not "stuck" on anything. You have just dismissed it without any confirmation.

Medgas24

Reaction score
He didn't specify what kind of fluid he added 5 quarts of. You assume oil, I assumed trans fluid. "As well" when taken in context could mean more than one thing. I took to mean they found trans fluid is leaking into the radiator, as well as what spilled onto the ground. Fun with English.
It was 5 quarts of oil. They couldn’t determine if the oil was leaking as well because everything was soaked in fluid.
But here’s the attached findings they told me

Attachments

• Truck .pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 14

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It was 5 quarts of oil. They couldn’t determine if the oil was leaking as well because everything was soaked in fluid.
But here’s the attached findings they told me
Thanks for clarifying. So your truck leaked 5 quarts of oil onto the ground and also is leaking trans fluid into the cooling system? Damn, when it rains it pours. Would be good to know where the oil is leaking from.

Medgas24

Reaction score
That’s the confusion… idk where the oil is leaking too cause it’s all a pretty mixture coming out of the overflow for the radiator

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It would be really inconvenient to add 5 quarts of transmission fluid, since there is no dipstick fill tube he'd have to crawl under or jack it up.

In any case, hope they found all the leaks and some good flush and refills get it back in service.

Users who are viewing this thread