5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear E locker options

Eaglehemi345

Reaction score
my 2020 ram 1500 sport. it does not have a rear diff lock from the factory. want to add one but don't know what my options are. Anyone did that before?

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It should be doable. However, I think they only work on 3.92 gears. You'll probably need to talk to Ram to see.

SpecialGuy

Reaction score
You can get aftermarket kits too if the stock option is expensive. It will require a new button and possibly some programming to activate it. I personally I would do an anti slip / limited slip rear unless you plan on rock crawling. It will activate on its own... my only complaint is that on wet roads it can get squirrelly. I keep the auto 4wd on and that resolves it for me.

Eaglehemi345

Reaction score
You can get aftermarket kits too if the stock option is expensive. It will require a new button and possibly some programming to activate it. I personally I would do an anti slip / limited slip rear unless you plan on rock crawling. It will activate on its own... my only complaint is that on wet roads it can get squirrelly. I keep the auto 4wd on and that resolves it for me.
Already have the lsd in the truck from factory. Also 3.92 gearing. I would definitely need an aux switch. factory auto 4wd button will be useless.

mattee

Reaction score
The problem with the newer anti-spin diff is that there is no pre-load on them. They act like an open differential until enough torque differential is applied then they lock up basically like an autolocking rear. My old truck was a 2002 ram and had the old style limited slip which was better because the wheels were locked together until enough toque caused them to separate. Eaton makes a suretrac pre-loaded limited slip that would be cheaper than an e-locker and they are pretty much bullet proof. Just a thought.

mattee

Reaction score
I had a local shop quote me around $1,500 installed for the eaton suretrac installed for another truck I was looking at.

5thGenWarlock23

Reaction score
The carrier for 3.21 and 3.92 is the same.. a regular 9.25 Chrysler carrier will fit. But you'd need the right bolt pattern drilled in the carrier if reusing stock ring gear. Otherwise youd need a regular 9.25 gear set

Fbird

Reaction score
Glad I found this thread as I was about to post one similar so (not highjacking) hopefully expanding on the +/- of each
My e-locker 3.92 4x4 has traction problems. When I bought it a few months ago I noticed the RR tire was noticeably thinner than the rest? I have since pimped it out for ME so 35x12.5 BFG's wheels...blah blah...BUT I too find myself spinning the RR tire frequently.
So is my e-locker an OPEN UNTIL i engage it? (which sux because it disengages at 20 mph)
Is there a "true posi" (clutch type) offered on these trucks (i would greatly prefer)
Is the "anit-spin" diff like the older GM GOV-LOK (after 1 wheel makes 3 revolutions more than the other it locks together)?

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't had lsd since my 2012 so I can't answer that on the Gen 5. But the diff on your elocker is open until engaged.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is the "anit-spin" diff like the older GM GOV-LOK (after 1 wheel makes 3 revolutions more than the other it locks together)?
Nope, it applies pressure to the clutches only under acceleration, kinda useless IMO.
My `72 AMX had a true limited slip diff. that thing was a hoot in the rain.

mattee

Reaction score
Yes the new generation anti spin diffs are not actually limited slip because they are not pre-loaded and act like an open differential until enough torque difference causes them to lock (my guess is they did this for fuel economy), so yes it's more like the GM locking diff but still acts different because it's still a clutch pack not an actual locker so they still do slip some. I think the owners manual even says you may have to apply the brake slightly to get it lock up if one wheel is spinning and the other one isn't. Who is going to remember to do that when you're spinning on snow or in the mud right? My old truck, 2002 was a true limited slip because both wheels turned the same until enough torque caused one of them to slip (it uses a spring loaded clutch pack to lock both axles and slips when enough torque brakes the clutches loose. And yes the e-locker which is what I have now is a true open differential until you lock it and yes it unlocks at 20 mph and then re-locks if you slow down below 20 again. If you want a true old fashion style limited slip diff I believe you would have to go aftermarket, like I said earlier Eaton suretrac is the way to go for true limited slip.
Sorry:(

mattee

Reaction score
Nope, it applies pressure to the clutches only under acceleration, kinda useless IMO.
My `72 AMX had a true limited slip diff. that thing was a hoot in the rain.
I agree my 2002 ram was a handful in the rain when it would brake loose, instant fishtail:)

Users who are viewing this thread