5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not sure if it's true but I have been they sub the work out due to liability, I assume it's the cost of tools with low profit margins due to dealing with insurance companies all the time.
I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle.
It doesn't really take much in tools. It's more likely, flat rate doesn't pay enough, so mechanics won't do it. Glass companies generally don't charge labor. Plus, if it's subbed out, Stellantis just pays whatever the local shop charges.

dork17

Reaction score
Talked to FCA in Canada, the subject of this being a warranty extension for Canadian owners as well was completely lost on them. Acted as if they hadn't even heard of the issue.

I'd urge any Canadian owners having this issue to file a complaint with Transport Canada. They were easy to deal with and hopefully that'll get us some results in Canada.

Be sure to include the issue of the RF hub and etorque batteries being a concern.

ctefft

Reaction score
Hello, I just had my rear window replaced today. Like many have said, the local dealer subbed it out to a glass company. How can I tell if the new window is OEM, it looks nothing like a ram rear window. And to further my suspicion, the window switch is now reversed, close now opens window and vice versa. I am attaching pictures, please let me know what you all think.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20240506_172233.jpg
    20240506_172233.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20240506_171041.jpg
    20240506_171041.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20240506_170810.jpg
    20240506_170810.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240506_170725.jpg
    20240506_170725.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 41

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hello, I just had my rear window replaced today. Like many have said, the local dealer subbed it out to a glass company. How can I tell if the new window is OEM, it looks nothing like a ram rear window. And to further my suspicion, the window switch is now reversed, close now opens window and vice versa. I am attaching pictures, please let me know what you all think.

Thanks.
LOL, yeah they put the wrong glass on it.
That's for an F150, could even be a Maverick.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks.
Who knew an F150 rear window would fit in a Ram?

ctefft

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I immediately notified the service manger my concern and he had no idea. He said he will be calling the glass company in the morning. It even opens to the opposite side.

Last edited:

ws6guy

Reaction score
I highly doubt an F150 glass would fit the same opening as the ram without looking odd or being way off. I've seen posts either on here or Facebook that there's an aftermarket glass for the Ram that is the same style as the the F150. I don't think the aftermarket has the plastic bonded to the glass which seems to be causing a lot of the leaking issues. If it fits and I'd say it's probably a positive. If or when mine leaks again I'm going to look into the aftermarket glass more closely before replacing with OEM again.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I highly doubt an F150 glass would fit the same opening as the ram without looking odd or being way off. I've seen posts either on here or Facebook that there's an aftermarket glass for the Ram that is the same style as the the F150. I don't think the aftermarket has the plastic bonded to the glass which seems to be causing a lot of the leaking issues. If it fits and I'd say it's probably a positive. If or when mine leaks again I'm going to look into the aftermarket glass more closely before replacing with OEM again.
Did you even look at the picture?

ws6guy

Reaction score
Here's a video of an aftermarket F150 style glass being installed on a Ram. Notice that where the glue goes there's no plastic frame. I believe the OEM has the plastic frame that extends to or close to the edge of the glass. So when the OEM one is installed the plastic frame is getting glued to the truck instead of the glass.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Regardless of whether that is an F150 window or not, I absolutely HATE that little tiny opening!! Give me the larger RAM slide all day over that pathetic window.
It looks funny to me too.
Likelt because it's just not the same as oem. Truthfully looks like a better design knowing the original problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online