5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Secure Idle / Park

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is this an option on the Ram and I'm just not seeing it?

On F150s with the keyless start, you can set it up so if it's running and the keyfob leaves the vehicle, it cannot be shifted into gear.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score

On F150s with the keyless start, you can set it up so if it's running and the keyfob leaves the vehicle, it cannot be shifted into gear.

Thats actually a pretty cool feature. I haven't heard of anything like that on the Ram though unfortunately.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know the 4th gens if you remote start it and get in and if you don't insert the key when you put your foot on the brake to shift it, it will shut down. I know mine does it, I would think the 5th gens would do it too.

FLG8R

Reaction score

On my 2016 Ram when I remote start it I cannot shift out of Park even with the KeyFob in my pocket. I have to put my foot on the brake and press the Start Button.

FLG8R

Reaction score
I know the 4th gens if you remote start it and get in and if you don't insert the key when you put your foot on the brake to shift it, it will shut down. I know mine does it, I would think the 5th gens would do it too.
Thats interesting. I note you have the key where I have the fob with push button start. Wonder if that plays a role in the difference or maybe the laws in Canada vs US regarding these things. Mine will keep running but won't shift out of Park. Its hard to get used to for me because I'm so use to turning a key when a motors running and hearing that starter screech that makes you say, "Oh s*** I did it again!"

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It does that. I guess I worded the original post poorly.

I'm talking about when you stop, shift to park and get out for a moment. Leave it running with no keyfob and it not allow it back into gear.

It looks like it's an option on the police vehicles from FCA - can't find anything about it on the RAM.

FLG8R

Reaction score
It does that. I guess I worded the original post poorly.

I'm talking about when you stop, shift to park and get out for a moment. Leave it running with no keyfob and it not allow it back into gear.

It looks like it's an option on the police vehicles from FCA - can't find anything about it on the RAM.
Okay, lets see if this helps. I just started my truck and moved it around using Drive and Reverse. Next I pulled back up to my house, put it in Park, left it running, went into my house and buried the key fob in a far corner which should have been well out of range. I now went back outside, got in my truck and was able to put it in Drive/Reverse/Park and shut it off without the fob.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay, lets see if this helps. I just started my truck and moved it around using Drive and Reverse. Next I pulled back up to my house, put it in Park, left it running, went into my house and buried the key fob in a far corner which should have been well out of range. I now went back outside, got in my truck and was able to put it in Drive/Reverse/Park and shut it off without the fob.

Yes, mine does that too. Doesn't sound like it's an option to prevent it from shifting back into gear with the keyfob missing.

D

Deleted member103

Yes, mine does that too. Doesn't sound like it's an option to prevent it from shifting back into gear with the keyfob missing.

I SUSPECT that you would be Surprised at just how FAR that Fob Range IS ! ? IF it is anything like my basic Fob on 2016 G.C. - the Range is over 100 feet Easy ! I know; I had a friend stand by the Jeep and every 5 yards or so I'd walk away ( we were in a wooded area / while fishing, so I let trees get in the way too , perhaps simulating being "in the house" ) . I would have him attempt to open the doors and at a Far-Distance ( > 100 ft. ) he finally could not . Didn't try your experiment, but now I will 1st chance I have .

ALSO * As a FIX - WRAP THE FOB IN A DOUBLE LAYER OF Alum. FOIL - not sure if it matters if the shinny side faces IN or OUT, but I have it facing IN / the source of the signal / and thus the doors can't be opened as you walk away ! This eliminates "strangers" from opening it while you are leaving to go shopping . . . and not paying attention to the vehicle as you depart it ! I always have a couple of these double folded Aluminum Foil Items - one as a spare/glove box and one I use/C.C. armrest ! They take up virtually No Space and give me "peace of mind" !

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As soon as the keyfob is out of the truck while it's running, a message will pop up saying it's out of the vehicle but you can shift into gear and drive away just fine.

D

Deleted member103

As soon as the keyfob is out of the truck while it's running, a message will pop up saying it's out of the vehicle but you can shift into gear and drive away just fine.

Early on in my New Jeep - Not used to the "Fob-Thing," but started using the FOIL Wrap, I'd forget to turn off the engine -- but again, IF you have the FOB wrapped in FOIL no one can get IN so they can't shift into gear and steel it . . . theoretically ! ?

Users who are viewing this thread