5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing the new camper

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Very cool pictures. How are you liking the Ford?
We love the truck. I do miss my Ram, but for our needs, the F-350 is about perfect. If we were buying new today, it'd probably be another Super Duty (F-350 Tremor). Ram updating the HD trucks could change that down the road...I'd love a diesel 3500 Rebel with the 5th gen cab.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Still making our way west...

1000004098.jpg

Alpine, TX:

1000004154.jpg

1000004187.jpg

Carlsbad, NM:

1000004309.jpg

20240414_193816.jpg

Pit stop and resupply on our way to Alamogordo area:

1000004221.jpg

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had our cracked windshield replaced with Ford OEM and new tires installed while we were in Las Cruces.

These are Falken Wildpeak A/T4W in 285/65R20, and replaced the factory Michelin LTX AT2 in 275/65R20. I wanted to go with 295/65R20 and think they'd be a perfect fit for the truck with the FX4 and snow plow prep, but Falken hasn't released that size yet.

The tires have been great in the few hundred miles I have on them so far. Noise and highway feel is about the same as the factory tires, and they feel solid when towing. We haven't had too much need for the extra traction, but they've done great on a few BLM roads we explored.

1000004299.jpg

1000004296.jpg

1000004295.jpg

1000004298.jpg

1000004284.jpg

Last edited:

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sierra Vista, AZ.

We were stationed here for awhile in my early days in the Marine Corps. It was cool coming back and seeing what's changed, and what hasn't.

1000004331.jpg

1000004334.jpg

We also made the trip to Bisbee.

20240429_144121.jpg

20240429_144603.jpg

20240429_153707.jpg

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We also had some time to kill on our travel day, so we stopped at a CAT scale to get weights and measurements for the rig. We haven't done this since the upgrades to the electrical system, and adding the Diamondback HD and toolbox.

I filled all of the holding tanks, our water and fuel containers, and made sure all fluids in the truck were topped off.

I learned that we definitely wouldn't want to drive around with full tanks for very long, because we'd be well beyond exceeding the GVWR and GAWR of the trailer. The only time I could ever see us doing that would be if we're boondocking and we had to refill our freshwater tank before dumping the black and grey tanks. I did order three of the Mopeka holding tank sensors to test those and hopefully get a better idea of tank levels.

I'd also previously set up and dialed in our ProPride entirely based on how it felt towing. I settled on 3" for the distribution jack height, and these numbers back that up.

1000004396.jpg

1000004359.jpg

Davidbt

Reaction score
We also had some time to kill on our travel day, so we stopped at a CAT scale to get weights and measurements for the rig. We haven't done this since the upgrades to the electrical system, and adding the Diamondback HD and toolbox.

I filled all of the holding tanks, our water and fuel containers, and made sure all fluids in the truck were topped off.

I learned that we definitely wouldn't want to drive around with full tanks for very long, because we'd be well beyond exceeding the GVWR and GAWR of the trailer. The only time I could ever see us doing that would be if we're boondocking and we had to refill our freshwater tank before dumping the black and grey tanks. I did order three of the Mopeka holding tank sensors to test those and hopefully get a better idea of tank levels.

I'd also previously set up and dialed in our ProPride entirely based on how it felt towing. I settled on 3" for the distribution jack height, and these numbers back that up.

View attachment 182735

View attachment 182738
My home town since November 2019.
Sierra Vista, AZ.

We were stationed here for awhile in my early days in the Marine Corps. It was cool coming back and seeing what's changed, and what hasn't.

View attachment 182727

View attachment 182728

We also made the trip to Bisbee.

View attachment 182729

View attachment 182730

View attachment 182731
Sierra Vista has been our home town since November 2019

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sierra Vista has been our home town since November 2019
It's a great place, for sure. We were there in 2004 and really liked it. That hasn't changed.

The Angry German got our business three times in the week we were there. :LOL:

Ox2020ram1500

Reaction score
RAM owner: Is this a Ford forum?
Site: No, it's a RAM 5th gen forum?
RAM owner: Is this a travel log for F350 owners?
Site: No, it's a RAM 5th gen towing thread
RAM owner: Is this Insta?
Site: No, it's a RAM 5th gen towing thread...for RAM owners
RAM owner: Why is 50% of this RAM towing thread populated with F350 pictures and a travel log?
Site: ?????? IDK

Love this site, tons of great information with helpful members. But most of this towing thread needs to be moved to a Ford F350 forum. Just sayin'.....

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
RAM owner: Why is 50% of this RAM towing thread populated with F350 pictures and a travel log?

Love this site, tons of great information with helpful members. But most of this towing thread needs to be moved to a Ford F350 forum. Just sayin'.....
Disagree. Had you done any research (such as reading this entire thread for example) you'd seeSnowBlzr2 is a member in good standing of this forum and is/was an active contributor with plenty of valuable information for those towing with a Ram 1500. That he recently switched to a Ford doesn't negate any of that. Plus, there are us other members that enjoy seeing his pics and perspective as a full-time RVer.

Though I see where you're going because of all the F350 pics, it's not as though he's on here talking about how great the Ford is, nor is he trashing Ram in any way.

Lastly, he's a site supporter AND he has almost 2300 posts to your 12. I'd say his presence on this forum is pretty damn valuable, so i suggest maybe we just accept the Ford pics.

Just my two pennies.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

**** off. 🍻

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Disagree. Had you done any research (such as reading this entire thread for example) you'd seeSnowBlzr2 is a member in good standing of this forum and is/was an active contributor with plenty of valuable information for those towing with a Ram 1500. That he recently switched to a Ford doesn't negate any of that. Plus, there are us other members that enjoy seeing his pics and perspective as a full-time RVer.

Though I see where you're going because of all the F350 pics, it's not as though he's on here talking about how great the Ford is, nor is he trashing Ram in any way.

Lastly, he's a site supporter AND he has almost 2300 posts to your 12. I'd say his presence on this forum is pretty damn valuable, so i suggest maybe we just accept the Ford pics.

Just my two pennies.
Yep. I loved my Ram, and miss the truck. We just outgrew it for our lifestyle and our needs.

I mean, I've also said repeatedly that I'd like to get back into a Ram, if the HD trucks get an update that hits what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I enjoy seeing the travels of the different members on this forum.

Just my two pennies.

Could not have said it better.

I'm one of those that enjoy his posts, the pics are great. Very informative on the upgrades to his trailer and give a nice perspective on towing with a heavy duty over a half ton.

Keep them coming SnowBlaZR2.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of military from all branches retire here. It's really a great little town.
It'd be on our short list if we don't settle back in our Florida house...assuming we ever do settle back down somewhere...

Ox2020ram1500

Reaction score
**** off. 🍻
Didn't mean to hit a nerve, but fact remains, I check this thread for advice on RAMs towing campers. I don't come here to see vacation snaps and advice on towing with an F350. You post good info, but it would be better suited to a Ford forum and/or Insta. But having to scroll through dozens of pics (30+ on this page alone) to find the towing advice is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Out.

Users who are viewing this thread