5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wiring off road light switches?

Seankurz

Reaction score
Hello, I've wired in some lights (fog lights, reverse lights, and bumper light bar), and need help with the switch. I've utilized wiring method B on the right in the first photo, and as I tended, the bottom backlight on the switches is only coming on when the switches are turned on. However the problem I am having is that the top backlight on the switches are on constantly, and I'd like them to only come on when the vehicle is running (second photo).

Is there a way to wire this switch so that the top backlight on the switch only comes on when the vehicle is turned on, and the bottom backlight only comes on when the switch is turned on?

What I was going to do, was disconnect the relay kit's ring terminals from the + battery terminal and connect it to an accessory switched power source using a micro fuse tap (3rd photo). Will this be okay? The fog lights only have a 3.06 amp draw, and the reverse lights are around 4.17 amps, so I was going to run two off of one switched 25 amp micro fuse slot and tap it with a 10 amp fuse for the accessories.

However, micro fuses only go up to 30amps, and the draw on the bumper light bar is slightly higher (33.3 amps, and the inline fuse on the relay kit is a 40A fuse). My next consideration was to tap one of the cartrige fuses (4th photo), which are 30-50 amps, but I can't find a tap kit for them, is there a better option?

EDIT: I used a circut tester to check all of the 40 amp (and higher) cartridge fuses and the only one that was remote on/off was for the hvac blower fan, so AC would have to be running for it to work. No dice with the cartrige fuses, and micro fuses are too low of amperage. So I'm kinda stuck...

Any input/help would be much appreciated, thank you ahead of time!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240515_184407_InCollage - Collage Maker.jpg
    Screenshot_20240515_184407_InCollage - Collage Maker.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20240515_134541_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240515_134541_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 14
  • download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240515_193509_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240515_193509_Samsung Internet.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, you need to switch to option A.

No, you cannot use those cartridge fuse type. Your add-a-fuse will just be a trigger and not the power source, so fuse slot amperage doesn't really matter provided that you're using the relay. What you need to find is 2 ignition triggered/ switched fuse slots to run add-a-fuse.

Or, you can buy a switch panel kit like this to take ALL guess works out: SP9100 Switch Panel Power System
expensive yes, but it's much more reliable than those Chinese stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread